How long do I have to pay child support?

If you have been ordered by a Pennsylvania court to pay child support, you may wonder how long you will have to pay. It can sometimes be difficult to make your payments and put a financial strain on you, so it is understandable that you want to plan for when your support order ends. When a court makes a child support order, it may includes an end date. Otherwise, you have to follow the general laws. 

According to the Department of Human Services, you are expected to provide financial support in most cases until your child is 18 years old. However, there are many exceptions which may apply in your case. For example, if your child has a disability or debilitating medical condition, you may be required to continue paying support long after he or she turns 18. In addition, if your child has not yet graduated high school when he or she reaches age 18, support is usually continued. 

If your support order did not specifically state when the support payments were to end, then you would have to submit a petition to end the support payments to the court. The court will have to make a ruling before you can stop paying. This is important because if you do not pay your support, you will end up in arrears.

Any child support in arrears must be paid until it is completely paid off. This means that if you have fallen behind, you may have to continue paying even after your child turns 18 or your support obligation period has otherwise ended. This information is for education and is not legal advice. 

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Contact Us Now To Discuss Your Legal Needs

We know you have questions, and we will be happy to provide you with the answers and sound counsel you need. To get started, call our office in Wyomissing toll free at 888-434-9531 or fill out the form below. We will return your call or email promptly.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Huckabee, Weiler & Levengood, P.C.

1136 Penn Avenue
Wyomissing, PA 19610

Toll Free: 888-434-9531
Phone: 610-285-8386
Fax: 610-378-9896
Wyomissing Law Office Map

Review Us